Monday, April 29, 2013

Bridesmaid's Dress Hangers Darth Vader Style

The more things I make the more excited I get for the wedding. I keep coming up with all these fabulous ideas to personalize our Star Wars wedding. It doesn't help I spend all my last moments before sleep browsing Pinterest and Etsy on my Kindle Fire. I am an Etsy junkie. I sell my own items and artwork on the site but I spend at least twice as much as I make on awesome handmade/custom items. If you haven't already joined the Etsy.com you should. However be prepared to lose several hours of your life to just browsing this awesomely addicting site.

I found these hangers on Etsy but couldn't justify spending $25 PER hanger. Plus I wasn't sure I could even engrave them and it not look like a 5 year old made them. Customized/Personalized Bridal Hanger for Wedding Dress - Wooden 

I ended up at Bed Bath and Beyond last week and saw a pack of hangers for less than $10. I had this half thought I could just buy them and but some kind of bow on the them. Easy enough, $2 per hanger and $1 worth of ribbon. Easy inexpensive custom hangers... I got home yesterday and laid out all the materials. Before I even knew what I was doing I had a pencil and a Sharpie marker in my hand. The crazy creative juices started flowing through me faster than I could draw. This is what I ended up with.

Customized Star Wars bridal hangers for the bridesmaids. So far I am most proud of these. There will oh so many more items to come. I need to buy more of these awesome little Vader helmets. I just wish I could find Boba Fett helmets.


I only made 5 hangers not realizing I needed to make myself one.  I am so proud of these, I can't wait to see them all lined up with the dresses on them!!
The bows were easy to make, just standard juke twine and sheer brown ribbon then I glued the helmet on. I did realize when I tied the bows on the metal part of the hang it spun around a lot. I just added a tiny dab of hot glue and solved that problem.



Each hanger was free hand drawn and each is unique. I wanted them all to be just a little bit different. I think I might go back and write the wedding date on the backside of the hanger.










I used just a standard sharpie marker but I think if I ever make these again (which I will for gifts) I would use two different sized markers, one for detailing and one for filling. I suppose I could add some spray clear coating to preserve these a little bit too.

0 comments:

KLD Designs - Seattle Wedding and Portrait Photographer - Bellevue, Tacoma, Everett, Yakima. Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Categories

Blogroll

About

Labels

About Me